Wat Kanlayanamit Woramahawihan, Thon Buri, Bangkok, Thailand
วัดกัลยณมิตรวรมหาวิหาร ธนบุรี กรุงเทพฯ ประเทศไทย

Home   Galleries   Order Info   Resources   Show Schedule   About Me   Newest Items   Site Map   Table of Contents   Search

<^>>^>
 

Wat Kanlayanamit Wihan (DTHB0544)
วัดกัลยณมิตร พระวิหาร

Wat Kanlayanamit Wihan (DTHB0545)
วัดกัลยณมิตร พระวิหาร

Wat Kanlayanamit Wihan (DTHB1212)
วัดกัลยณมิตร พระวิหารพุทธ พระพุทธไตรรัตนนายก

Wat Kanlayanamit Ubosot (DTHB0546)
วัดกัลยณมิตร พระอุโบสถ

Wat Kanlayanamit Ubosot (DTHB1209)
วัดกัลยณมิตร พระอุโบสถ
 

Wat Kanlayanamit Ubosot Gable (DTHB0547)
วัดกัลยณมิตร หน้าจั่ว พระอุโบสถ

Wat Kanlayanamit Preaching Hall or Sala Kan Prien (DTHB1210)
วัดกัลยณมิตร ศาลาการเปรียญ

Wat Kanlayanamit Preaching Hall Gable (DTHB1211)
วัดกัลยณมิตร หน้าจั่ว ศาลาการเปรียญ

Wat Kanlayanamit Bell Tower (DTHB0548)
วัดกัลยณมิตร หอระฆัง

Wat Kanlayanamit Giant Bell (DTHB1215)
วัดกัลยณมิตร สูงใหญ่ระฆัง
 

วัดกัลยณมิตรวรมหาวิหาร

Wat Kanlayanamit Chedi (DTHB1213)
วัดกัลยณมิตร เจดีย์

Wat Kanlayanamit Chedi (DTHB1214)
วัดกัลยณมิตร เจดีย์

Wat Kanlayanamit Gable (DTHB1216)
วัดกัลยณมิตร หน้าจั่ว

วัดกัลยณมิตรวรมหาวิหาร
 
Wat Kanlayanamit Woramahawihan, วัดกัลยณมิตรวรมหาวิหาร, is a second class royal temple of the Woramahawihan type.  In 1835 (B.E. 2368) when he received the title of Phraya Ratsuphawadi (the Director General of Phra Suratsawadi Klang Department), Chao Phraya Nikorn Bodin (Toh Kanlayanamit), a son of Phra Phichai Wari (Mae Sae Eumg), not only donated his own house, including the land, but also bought additional land in the nearby area which was formerly called Kudi Chin Village, to build a temple.  This was during the reign of King Rama III and  Chao Phraya Nikorn Bodin presented the temple to be designated as a royal temple.  King Rama III graciously named the temple Wat Kanlayanamit.  At the same time, King Rama III ordered that a royal Wihan (Hall of Worship) be built to house a principal Buddha image made of plaster.  The image was in the subduing Mara (demon) posture and was 11.75 meters in width and 15.45 meters in height.  People usually called this image Phra Toh.  Later King Rama IV kindly named it Phra Buddha Trai Rattananayok.  This image is respected by people all over, especially the Chinese people who called it Sam Por Hud Kong or Sam Por Kong.  King Rama IV also graciously ordered the construction of Hor Phratham Monthian Thaloeng Phrakiat (Buddhist library) for the temple in 1865 (B.E. 2408) in order to keep Pali Canons (Lord Buddha's teachings) and all of the temple's Buddhist scriptures.  The basement of Phra Ubosot (Ordination Hall) was originally the house of Chao Phraya Nikorn Bodin. The Ubosot is made from brick in Chinese architectural style with no roof finials.  Inside the Ubosot there are mural paintings depicting the story of Lord Buddha's life. There is also a set of sacrificial accessories in Thai-Chinese architectural style.  The Fine Arts Department registered the temple as a national ancient monument in 1949 (B.E. 2492).

วัดกัลยณมิตรวรมหาวิหาร เป็นพระอารามหลวงชั้นโท ชนิดวรมหาวิหาร เจ้าพระยานิกรบดินทร์ (โต กัลยาณมิตร) บุตรพระพิชัยวารี (มัน แซ่อึ้ง) เมื่อครั้งมีบรรดาศักดิ์เป็น พระยาราชสุภาวดี เจ้ากรมพระสุรัสวดีกลาง ได้อุทิศบ้านพร้อมที่ดินและได้ซื้อที่ดิน บริเวณใกล้เคียงซึ่งเดิมเริยกว่า หมู่บ้านกุฎีจีน เพิ่มเติม สร้างเป็นวัดเมื่อปี พ.ศ. ๒๓๖๘ ในสมัยรัชกาลที่ ๓ แล้วถวายเป็น พระอารามหลวง ได้รับพระราชทานนามว่า วัดกัลยณมิตร ในคราวเดียวกันนั้นรัชกาลที่ ๓ ทรงพระกรุณาโปรดเกลาฯ ให้สร้างพระวิหารหลวงและพระประธาน ซึ่งเป็นพระพุทธรูปปูนปั้นปางมารวิชัย หน้าตักกว้าง ๑๑.๗๕ เมตร สูง ๑๕.๔๕ เมตร พระราชานถวายวัด ชาวบ้านเรียกกันว่า พระโต ต่อมารัชกาลที่ ๔ พระราชทานนามว่า พระพุทธไตรรัตนนายก พระพุทธรูปองค์นี้เป็นที่เลื่อมใสศรัทธากันทั่วไป โดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่งในหมู่ชาวจีนที่เรียกกันว่า ซำปอฮุดกง หรือ ซำปอกง รัชกาลที่ ๔ โปรดให้สร้าง หอพระธรรมมณเฑียรเถลิงพระเกียรติ ถวายวัดเมื่อปิ พ.ศ. ๒๔๐๘ เพื่อให้เป็นที่เก็บพระไตรปิฎก และพระคัมภีร์ต่าง ๆ ฐานที่ตั้งพระอุโบสถ เดิมเป็นบ้านของ เจ้าพระยานิกรบดินทร์ เป็นอาคารก่ออิฐถือปูน ลักษณะสถาปัตยกรรมจีน ไม่มีช่อฟ้า ใบระกา หางหงส์ ด้านในพระอุโบสถมีภาพจิตรกรรมฝาผนังเรื่องพุทธประวัติและรูปเครื่องบูชา ม้าหมู่แบบไทยผสมจีน กรมศิลปากรได้ขึ้นทะเปียนวัดเป็นโบราณสถานสำคัญของชาติ เมื่อปี พ.ศ. ๒๔๙๒
Information from a historical marker at the temple.

Wikimapia location
Scenic Photography by Gerry Gantt from Thailand, the land of Golden Wats.
All images Copyright © 1999 - by Gerry Gantt, all rights reserved.