Wat Pa Pao, วัดป่าเป้า, is located just outside the historic center of old walled Chiang Mai. Wat pa Pao is a striking example of a Burmese style temple and was built by Shans in 1883 who had come to Chiang Mai to work with the British in the logging industry and desired their own Buddhist place of worship. It is surrounded by a sunken courtyard and contains a brick and cement chedi, a ubosot and a more recently constructed wihan. The Shan design of the roof of the ubosot is in the form of a "pyatthat", which is a tall series of tiers, the last one topped by a spire. The vaulted interior houses three Buddha images.
Chiang Mai North Thailand Tourism Travel Guide)