Wat Tsai, วัดไทร, is located in Khwaeng Bang Khun Thian, Chom Thong District, Bangkok. The Phra Ubosot is notable in that it is almost entirely clad
in ceramic tile and is surrounded by a wall that is also clad in ceramics.
In form, the Phra Ubosot looks very much like a large Thai house with a
surrounding veranda. There is also a nearby floating market that is
very busy in the early morning hours with motor boats coming in to unload
wares to the land market or sell their wares from the boat itself. Wat Tsai has been an
important ancient temple since the Ayutthaya Period. The temple was
called Wat Sai, presumably because there was a giant Sai Tree (Banyan) in
front of the monastery. Phra Chao Sua (King Sanphet III) ordered that
a golden mansion in Thai architectural style be built for overnight stay
during his boat journeys to the monastery compound. The wooden house was
later dedicated for the monks' dwelling. It is raised on pillars in
the Thai tradition and beautifully gilt lacquered both inside and outside.
The temple was restored during the reign of King Rama IV and again in 1873 (BE 2416) during the reign of King Rama V. Various Buddha images kept at this
temple are made of red sandstone in various postures.
Wat Tsai has been an important ancient temple since the Ayutthaya period. The
evidence for this dating is shown by crafted red sandstone Buddha images in
Meditation and Lord Buddha postures, a decorated Buddha image in the Buddha
image hall, and one crafted red sandstone block located at the east of the
temple as a boundary marker. At the temple there is a Golden Palace
that many believe belonged to Prachao Seua who dedicated his palace
to the temple for monks to live in. It is located at the edge of
Khlong Daan (Daan Canal) which is in front of the temple. It is
called "Golden Palace" because it is completely covered by gold leaf which
causes it to look shiny and beautiful. Each window frame of the palace
is built with traditional Thai architecture called Taan Sigha.
The elevated window frames give an illusion that they are floating on the
wall. An engraved wooden plank provides a clear record indicating that
the temple was restored once during the reign of Rama IV, and again during
the reign of Rama V in 2416 (1873 AD) by Chinese artisans.
(Translated from the Thai text by Mr. Taywin Boonjindasap.แปลเป็นภาษาอังกฤษโดย นายเทวินทร์ บุญจินดาทรัพย์)