Wat Phra Singh Woramahawihan, Tambon Phra Sing, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Also spelled Wat Phrasingh or Wat Phra Sing
วัดพระสิงห์ วรมหาวิหาร ตำบลพระสิงห์ เมืองเชียงใหม่ จังหวัดเชียงใหม่ ประเทศไทย
Wat Phra Singh Woramahawihan, วัดพระสิงห์ วรมหาวิหาร, is located in the historic center of old walled Chiang Mai. The temple was begun in 1345 when King Phayu built a chedi to hold the ashes of his father, King Kahm Fu. Several buildings were added a few years later and the temple was named Wat Lichiang Phra. In 1367 the statue of Phra Buddha Sihing or Phra Buddha Singh was brought to the temple, and at this time the temple was given its present name. The temple fell into disrepair when it was largely abandoned during the Burmese rule of Lanna for the period of 1578 to 1774. Restoration began when King Kawila assumed the throne and included the work included addition of the Ubosot, enlargement of the chedi. The Wihan Lai Kahm and the Ho Trai were restored by later successors. More recent restoration was done during the 1920s by the monk Khru Ba Srivichai and again in 2002.